Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 84 - Boudha

We leave Kathmandu in two days for Chitwan and our next farm experience. There is no guarantee that we'll have much internet access, so I figured that I'd update now while I have the chance.
Boudha is still very calm and relaxing and I've taken the opportunity to do some reading. Now that I'm out of school, my reading list seems to all be political/historical non-fiction. I read a book by Noam Chomsky and another one by a Pakistani historian about the history of Islam in the Middle East. I also read a book Laura bought about a Tibetan Tulku that fled to India after Chinese occupation. It's been good. The Omnivore's Dilemma is next, but I'm not supposed to know about it because it's my Christmas present.
I've been getting spurts of homesickness as it gets closer to Christmas. It will be hard being away from my family for the first time. I've missed watching holiday movies while drinking hot chocolate, or listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra. And, I will definitely miss Christmas Eve board game night.
The seminar ended last week, but there was a three-day retreat (kind of an extension of the seminar) at a place called Nagi Gompa, a nunnery just a little ways up in the mountains. I didn't go, but Laura did. She said it was beautiful and I get the sense that she's glad she went. I really enjoyed the seminar and learned more than I probably realize, but I'm glad I opted out of the retreat. It would have been a little much. We've made friends here with many of the students at the monastery so I had to people to hang out with. The monastery has a program on Buddhist Studies through Kathmandu University and the students are from all over. A few nights ago I went out for some Tongba with a few of them. Tongba is Tibetan beer. It's a rather sizable brown barrel (not quite as big as a Big Gulp at 7/11) filled with fermented millet that you poor boiling water over. You drink through a metal straw and it's actually quite good. It gives off the aroma of freshly baked bread and goes really well with Wantan soup. After, we played Texas Hold'em (poker) in an Indian restaurant...Norway, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and the US were all represented.
Other than that, not much to report until we get to the next destination. I've had a lot of downtime here and hence have bought way too many bootleg DVDs. They're just so cheap! Oh well, now I'll have something to do when I'm unemployed back in the states.
Happy Holidays everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Cammy,

    It won't be the same without you at home! We will be missing you, especially playing Apples to Apples on Christmas Eve while getting tipsy. And your sheer amount of useless knowledge for Trivial Pursuit (I somehow don't think Cole is going to make a good partner for someone).

    However, I am SO glad that you are having these experiences! They are truly something to be grateful for and are things for you to treasure and carry with you throughout the rest of your life.

    I am so proud of you (and Laura). I love you very much.

    Love, Shannon

    PS. I want to know how you like Omnivore's Dilemma. It's been on my book list for a while now. I just started Where Men Win Glory (Jon Krakauer's new one about Pat Tillman). I'll save it for you for when you get back to the States. I think you'd really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I almost bought that book in Colorado before we left, but it was to big and heavy to pack. I really want to read it. I'll let you know how Omnivore is and possibly swap you books when I'm back in the states. Love you mucho sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmph. I tried to post a link to "First Snow," but to no avail. Well, you know how it goes.

    Miss you, baby girl.

    ReplyDelete