Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day Four - Sirsa

Apparently India on a budget means taking a 6 hour bus ride with wall-to-wall people and no air conditioning in 105 degree weather for about US$2. Needless to say it was hot, uncomfortable and people stared at us for 6 hours. We eventually made it to Sirsa where we had three phone numbers for the family we are to stay with. We were told to call from the police post in the bus terminal and they would pick us up. However, all of the numbers were switched off. To make a long story short, we spent two hours in the police station being fed and given endless amounts of tea while policemen and passers-by all pulled out their cell phones and called everyone they knew to find out where the family lived and how we could get ahold of them. After three hours, they managed to get an address and loaded us in a three-wheeler with an old man that spoke no English who slowly drove us to the farm. When we arrived, no one was there and a ton of villagers who also spoke no English set out to help us. They brought us chairs, water, a fan and pulled out their cell phones to figure out how to help. I was amazed at the generosity and kindness of the people here. Everyone went out of there way to help and while I was completely out of my element, I knew they were looking out for us. They even kept trying different languages on us to see if we would know one of them, but unfortunately as an American, I really only know English. Long story hopefully shorter, we managed to get ahold of the brother of the man we were to stay with and are currently enjoying his generous hospitality.

Today he took us out on their family farm and told us so much about organic farming. The whole time I couldn't help but think about a woman at the orphanage in Kenya that I worked at, Liuba, who once made the comment that Americans live in the sky and know nothing of the ground or soil. It's so true, and I'm excited to learn all I can to begin to correct this in my life. They know so many great techniques for growing healthy, bountiful crops without chemicals or products. They know which natural plants are poisonous to pests and which plants, when added to the soil, help other plants to grow strong and healthy. In Human Services a wrote a paper on Monsanto and had we talked a little about chemical companies exploiting farmers with their genetically modified products and chemicals. It was interesting to hear the perspective of an Indian farmer, who, as it turns out, studied Political Science at university.

That's all for now. I want to keep this brief as possible for you. Laura and I are safe, happy and healthy at the moment and completely enjoying this experience. We have not been put to work yet, for we are waiting for the family to come home that we are actually staying with. But soon, I'm sure, we'll be sweating not just from the heat, but from the labors of the farm.

4 comments:

  1. Hey man, I'm glad the WWOOF experience is going well. I'll keep posted to your blog for the updates. Interesting stuff to read. Just wanted to say what's up. I'm officially done school, I get excited just thinking about it. Take pictures too. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear y'all made it safely, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my 6th graders reading your blog. Will post comments from them. Stay safe! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Buddy! I'm so glad you and Laura are safe and have found your way to your first destination. I'm so proud of you and I am anxiously awaiting your next post. I want to hear all about organic farming and what you learn. I love you!

    ReplyDelete